Paraeducator-Special Education - #1343386
Boulder Valley School District
Boulder Valley School District is committed to create challenging, meaningful, and engaging learning opportunities so that all children thrive and are prepared for successful, civically engaged lives. Our comprehensive and innovative approach to education ensures that each student meets expectations relative to intellectual growth, physical development and social emotional well-being. The district covers approximately 500 square miles and serves the communities of Boulder, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Broomfield, Nederland, Ward, Jamestown and Gold Hill. Website: BVSD.
School: Community Montessori Elementary
Position Title: Paraeducator-Special Education
Position Start Date: Immediately
Position Type: Paraeducators
FTE: 0.475 - 19 hours per week, Temporary Through 05/25/2023
Work Schedule: 9 Month - Hourly
Pay Range:* $19.15 - $25.12
Closing Date: March 27, 2023
Assists student with intensive needs in both the regular and special education classrooms. This includes behavioral, academic, health and other types of supports.
- Provide support to special education students in the regular and special education classrooms.
- Supports may include assisting students by adapting work, monitoring and enforcing social and acceptable behavior, implementing health care plans, toileting assistant, academic support etc.
- Assist children in the cafeteria, at recess, in labs or any other time help is required, including getting on and off the bus.
- Assist in crisis situations often involving physically aggressive students including, but not limited to, restraining and documentation.
- Understand state laws, rules and regulations pertaining to management of behaviors and protocol safeguards. Implement specialized therapy programs.
- These supports are defined in student individualized education plans (IEP) and are provided under the direct supervision of the case manager/teacher.
- Mentor, support and assist students with a variety of abilities and disabilities to become competent, independent adults.
- Assist students and case manager/teachers on field trips.
- Assist with administering tests or assessments.
- Assist case manager/teacher with paperwork and documentation of progress on goals and plans.
- Maintain student confidentiality, following state regulations and district protocols around confidentiality.
- Collaborate with special education teacher/case manager on implementation of individual student plans.
- Attend required professional development, including CPI, CPR and First Aid. Maintain certification in these areas.
- Follow behavior support plans, both proactive supports and crisis management, including appropriate use of CPI and maintaining student confidentiality.
- When requested, attend IEP annual or tri-annual meetings as well as staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Complete and submitted BVSD online application.
- Communicate (read, write, and speak) in English, must pass English component of interview process.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds; diaper, feed; complete other delegated nursing and health care duties
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, Universal Precautions and Medication administration.
- Experience with inclusive practices to include students with special needs preferred.
- Experience with instructional support of small groups and individual students.
- Take the initiative in positively managing student behavior.
- Able to multi-task while attending to instructional needs of children.
- Works collaboratively with teachers and others to implement lesson plans, complete student observations, collect and organize student data.
- Communicate well with children and staff.
- Follow directions with minimal guidance.
- Respect confidentiality of staff and students and understands privacy issues within schools.
- Manage time effectively.
- Experience working with preschool age children preferred.
- Provide assistance with personal care including diapering, feeding and hand washing.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual Spanish/English.
Salary Placement varies according to experience and education.
- Pay range listed above is for employees newly hired to BVSD or current BVSD employees that are new to the employee group (existing employees currently in this unit please refer to the pay range on the appropriate salary schedule). BVSD engages in a salary placement process vs. a salary negotiation process. This information is provided in compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and is the company's good faith and reasonable estimate of the compensation range and benefits offered for this position. The compensation offered to the successful applicant may vary based on factors including experience and education. All salaries are set by Human Resources based on a review of qualifications compared to the requirements on the job description; therefore listing all related education and experience on your application is recommended.
Application and Selection Procedure:
- External Candidates: Apply on-line at jobs.bvsd
- Current BVSD Employees: Must apply through the INFOR portal
- If you do not have internet access, a computer is available in the Human Resources Division, Education Center, 6500 E. Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado.
- Applications are reviewed to match candidates with position qualifications, with a limited number selected for interviews. For the final selection, employment is contingent upon successful completion of the post-offer screening process, including a background check and possible medical examination.
The Boulder Valley School District is an equal opportunity educational institution and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, sex, gender identity/expression, national origin, creed, religion, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status in admission or access to, and treatment and employment in its educational programs or activities. Inquiries or complaints: BVSD Legal Counsel - 720-561-5903; Office for Civil Rights - http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/addresses.html
How to apply
To apply for this job you need to authorize on our website. If you don't have an account yet, please register.Post a resume