Traffic Sign Technician 1 - Seasonal - #1671963
Spokane County Washington
Job SummaryNOTES: Posting will be used to fill up to four (4) SEASONAL positions - 5 to 9 month duration in union Protec17. 40 hours per week.
This position assembles, erects, maintains and makes repairs to road signs, sign supports, and pavement markings on Spokane County right of ways. The position allocated to this class initially works under close supervision, learning and applying appropriate procedures and methods to specifically assigned projects and programs. This class is distinguished from the class of Traffic Sign Technician 2 and Traffic Sign Technician 3 in that incumbents perform technical support services under close supervision and direction. Employees are expected to perform the work of a higher class for a limited period of time for training and/or for relief purposes
Examples of Duties
- Performs routine sign maintenance under close supervision.
- Manufactures traffic control signs and street plates.
- Paints pavement marking legends including stop bars, crosswalks, and railroad crossings.
- Performs delineation of roads, plastic retracing, marking of sealed roads with tabs, and other jobs not requiring extensive lay outs.
- Patrols County roadways to install, clean, remove and keep road signs looking aesthetically pleasing.
- Inputs daily activities and receives priority work assignments.
- Performs documents signing and pavement marking activities.
- Drives all traffic sign shop vehicles and equipment except for the highway striper.
- Operates all traffic sign shop equipment necessary to complete required work.
- Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of manual labor experience required.
- NOTE: Experience installing or manufacturing signs preferred.
- Possession of a valid Washington Driver's License at time of hire and for the duration of employment.
- Skilled in communicating effectively both orally and in writing, sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others in a work crew.
- Skilled in the efficient and safe use of tools and equipment.
- Ability to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- Ability to understand the Washington State Sign Fabrication Manual.
- Ability to do heavy manual labor.
- Ability to work while standing for long periods.
Employee Benefits Summary
The following is a brief list of benefits available to Spokane County regular employees. Complete information is available from Human Resources Department. This information is subject to change.
Spokane County Observed Holidays
Up to 10 (ten) paid holidays are observed by Spokane County
Non-represented and a select group of represented employees receive a bank of hours that combine both vacation and sick leave into a paid time off bank. There is no waiting period to use this time and it starts out at almost 2 days per month accrual increasing in accrual rates annually for first 5 years
For employees with less than five (5) years of continuous service, the accrual rate is 1 day of vacation each month for a total of 12 days per year. After six (6) months, employees are eligible to take accumulated vacation time. (Please note the vacation time accumulation may vary depending on contract language)
Sick leave is earned at 1 day per month and can be taken as the days are accumulated
Spokane County provides several other paid leaves such as: bereavement leave, jury duty and military duty leave
Two plans are currently available: Premera Blue Cross (PPO) and Kaiser Permanente (HMO). Spokane County pays 95% of the premium for full-time employees and 90% of the premiums for spouses and dependents. Premiums are deducted each pay period (pay periods: 15th and last day of the month)
Employee Only: $38.04 per month
Employee & Spouse: $149.52 per month
Employee & Family: $209.60 per month
Employee & Child(ren): $136.16 per month
Employee: $35.92 per month
Employee & Spouse: $140.56 per month
Employee & Family: $196.06 per month
Employee & Child(ren): $128.58 per month
Two plans are currently available: Delta Dental of Washington (PPO) and Willamette Dental (DMO). Spokane County pays 95% of the premium for full-time employees and 90% of the premiums for spouses and dependents
Delta Dental Willamette Dental
Employee: $5.74 per month Employee: $5.98 per month
Family: $11.48 per month Family: $11.96 per month
Group Life Insurance
The County provides a $25,000 group life insurance policy to employees. The County provides a $10,000 benefit for those represented by 492, 492CS & 492CL. This benefit is paid in full by Spokane County
Long Term Disability Coverage
Provides an income protection benefit in the event of a long-term illness or injury at rate of 60% of income up to a maximum of $5,000 per month. Spokane County pays the full premium for this plan. Deputy Sheriff's receive a benefit through their union for disability
Retirement Plan (401a)
Spokane County employees are automatically included in the Washington State Retirement System. Both the employer and the employee contribute to the plan. This retirement plan provides a guaranteed lifetime monthly benefit once vested and eligible for retirement
Additional Retirement Plan Option (457b)
Employees may supplement their retirement income and save money on taxes by participating in this optional County program. Roth (after-tax) option is also available through this retirement plan
Supplemental insurance is optional and is provided by AFLAC to help pay for benefits not covered by major medical insurance. The employee pays 100% of the premium
Provides additional travel protections anytime you travel more than 100 miles from home. Includes pre-trip information, emergency ticket replacement, and emergency evacuation coverage. This benefit is paid in full by Spokane County
Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
Spokane County sponsors a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account to allow out-of-pocket Medical & Daycare Expenses to be paid with Tax Free Dollars. Premiums are automatically set up pre-tax under the FSA
Voluntary Term Life Insurance
Voluntary Term Life Insurance is additional optional life insurance provided through The Standard Insurance. New employees are guaranteed up to $50,000 for self and $20,000 for a spouse with no medical underwriting needed
Employee Assistance Program
Employees and their family members are eligible to receive free counseling. There are also benefits relating to financial and legal concerns.
Reduced Cost Bus Pass Program
Spokane County participates in a program with STA which discounts bus passes to $5 a month.
There are opportunities for nearby exercise programs at reduced cost and education programs around wellness themes including financial well-being, nutrition and stress reduction.
There are local and national discounts available to Spokane County employees.
Agency Spokane County Address
824 N Adams
Spokane, Washington, 99260