Maintenance Worker II (Parks Districts) - #1671967
City of St. Petersburg
This is semi-skilled manual work requiring the application of skills and knowledge above the basic laboring level performing mowing, edging, trimming, maintenance and assisting with construction type work associated with City owned parks and athletic facilities. Work includes operating vehicles and less complex automotive type equipment, and using specialized machines, small turf equipment, and power tools (chain saws, trimmers), hand tools, construction tools, concrete tools, and power equipment to perform tasks of a manual nature and other related work. Work involves acting as lead worker for intermittent periods.
Salary: $16.47 - $22.15 Hourly
Close Date: 02-22-2024 (11:59 PM)
Minimum Qualifications. Applicants must:
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver License.
- Have at least one (1) year of progressive experience in grounds maintenance or a related field.
- Have some experience operating small turf equipment.
- Be able to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
Desirable Qualifications. Preferred applicants:
- Possess a valid high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Possess and are willing to maintain a valid State of Florida Class "A" Commercial Driver License (CDL).
- Possess and maintain a State of Florida Pesticide Applicator License.
- Have athletic field maintenance or significant similar experience.
- Have some basic supervisory experience.
- Are able to perform light repairs and maintenance of equipment and irrigation systems.
- Are experienced in construction type work, preferably with some concrete experience.
- Have some computer knowledge.
The successful candidate must be either a resident of the City of St. Petersburg as of his or her date of appointment, or establish primary residency within the city limits of St. Petersburg within six months of completing the probationary period. Furthermore, as long as the successful candidate is employed in this classification, he or she must reside within the city limits of St. Petersburg. This requirement is not applicable to current City employees who were hired before October 20, 1997.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
For purposes of employment, re-employment, promotion, transfer or demotion, the most qualified applicants will be selected to continue in the hiring process. At this point, any prior criminal records will be verified. A prior criminal record will not necessarily disqualify a selected applicant from employment.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to a Drug Free Workplace and compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) drug testing rules. Applicants may be required to successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and/or medical exams.
How To Apply
Apply online at www.stpete.org/jobs - Select Apply for Jobs/Register/View Job Postings. City employees must use the Current City Employee link or use a City computer to access iRecruitment Employee Candidate. The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity employment, and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified servicemembers/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain servicemembers/veterans receive preference/priority in employment. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to apply, to interview for positions and to perform the essential job functions.