Community Outreach Coordinator - #1671974
City of Houston, TX
POSITION OVERVIEWApplications accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Reporting Location: 900 Bagby
Workdays & Hours: Mon. - Fri., 8am - 5pm *
- Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Under the Department of Neighborhoods Neighborhood Engagement Division the Community Outreach Coordinator will work to perform functions related to the operation of programs and services. Responsibilities include:
- Perform site visits and surveys among youth, vulnerable constituents, and general public in order to improve Department service delivery.
- Promote service-learning opportunities and potential collaborations with local schools and City of Houston council members.
- Perform presentation to local student government associations emphasizing the direct impact local government has on daily lives. Highlight the significance of civic engagement, encouraging students to be informed, in local initiatives.
- Collaborate with high school administrators to share the benefits of the Mayor’s Youth Council emphasizing leadership development and community impact.
- Coordinate city hall tours engaging community groups, and local schools. The tours will highlight the importance of civic awareness and government function.
- Facilitate departmental internship program by collaborating with other divisions within the Department of Neighborhoods and establishing relationships with local educational institutions.
- Assists in the design and implementation of special community engagement programs and projects with a focus on youth and young adult related services.
- Coordinates and facilitate the Mayor’s Youth Council member selection and regularly scheduled meetings.
- Plans service-learning projects and other community engagement efforts to close service gaps through the Mayor’s Youth Council.
- Compiles data, produces information and interprets results through conclusion or recommendation formulation. Develops reports, special documents or publications as assigned.
- Represents the Department at community/neighborhood meetings and events.
- Coordinates other City-wide or Departmental programs as needed.
- Drafts correspondence, letters of agreements and memorandums of understanding.
- Completes special projects as assigned, working on a wide variety of administrative, professional, management, and community issues and problems of medium to high complexity.
The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field directly related to the type of work being performed.
MIMIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Three years of professional experience in community organizational work, resource and referral services, or a closely related field are required.
Substitutions: Graduate degrees related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the experience requirement on a year-for-year basis. Professional experience related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Valid Texas Class C driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston Motor Vehicle Assignment and Use Policy (AP 2-2).
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED:
Department may administer skills assessment test.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate’s qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade: 26
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 394-3411.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 394-3411.
If you need login assistance or technical support call (855) 524-5627
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information.
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Agency City of Houston Address
901 Bagby St
Houston, Texas, 77002