School Health Aide - #1672076
Be Extraordinary, Join our Team!
Grand Rapid Public Schools
Shift and Status: Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m, Variable.Provides direct student care under the delegation of the School Nurse. Is responsible for providing first aid, medication administration and emergency response for school children through the School Health Advocacy Program. Works with the school nurse, school staff, other health care providers, community program and others to improve the health and well being of the child. Responsible for assisting high-risk families access available community resources. Provides education to clients and the community related to focus of community program Essential Functions
- Serves as the school health office primary contact for health related needs.
Provides direct student health care as delegated by the RN according to school district policies. Collects information, such as vital signs and history of illness or injury and communicates as needed with RN to determine student’s disposition. Documents direct and indirect services provided and other pertinent program data.
- Administers scheduled, as needed and emergency medications under the delegation of the RN according to Corewell Health and school district policies.
Provides treatments such as tube feedings, diabetic management (administration of insulin) and catheterization under the delegation of the RN according to Corewell Health and school district policies.
- Participates in gathering pertinent information regarding student health concerns and coordinates these needs to school staff, prior to any school field trip.
- Communicates to the RN information received from students, family members, physicians and other members of the educational team, following FERPA guidelines.
- Continuously collects and documents data regarding: school immunization status, school communicable disease reports and student health concerns.
- Partners with other health providers to provide services to students. Completes prep work, documentation, and administers results and follow up of partnering with providers.
Works collaboratively with student and their families by referring community agencies and volunteers to schedule and provide optimal coordination of services, to facilitate a supportive relationship and to evaluate effectiveness of services provided and plan for future needs.
- Acts as a role model and resource to students, their families and the school community to promote a healthy and safe school environment.
Mentors, empowers and advocates for students and their families to help them gain independence with their health care needs.
- Participates in social and physical evaluations that could affect the student at home or in school. Acts as a resource to program staff to discuss barriers about life/situational/cultural factors impacting client, family and environment.
- Required High School Diploma or equivalent
- Required Associate's Degree or equivalent
- 2 years of relevant experience Required
- CRT-First Aid - AHA American Heart Association 90 Days required
- CRT-CPR - AHA American Heart Association 90 Days required
Primary LocationSITE - Widdicomb South - 665 Seward Ave - Grand Rapids
Department NameSchool Advocacy - Healthier Communities - GR
Employment TypeFull time
ShiftDay (United States of America)
Weekly Scheduled Hours36
Hours of Work7 a.m. - 5 p.m
Days WorkedMonday to Friday
CURRENT COREWELL HEALTH TEAM MEMBERS – Please apply through Find Jobs from your Workday team member account. This career site is for Non-Corewell Health team members only.
Corewell Health is committed to providing a safe environment for our team members, patients, visitors, and community. We require a drug-free workplace and require team members to comply with the MMR, Varicella, Tdap, and Influenza vaccine requirement if in an on-site or hybrid workplace category. We are committed to supporting prospective team members who require reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment due to a disability, pregnancy, or sincerely held religious belief.
Corewell Health grants equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, marital status, height, weight, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected category.
An interconnected, collaborative culture where all are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work, is vital to the health of our organization. As a health system, we advocate for equity as we care for our patients, our communities, and each other. From workshops that develop cultural intelligence, to our inclusion resource groups for people to find community and empowerment at work, we are dedicated to ongoing resources that advance our values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all that we do. We invite those that share in our commitment to join our team.
You may request assistance in completing the application process by calling 616.486.7447.