Front of House Supervisor (23-24) - #1672120
KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy, and help us rise together.
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/.
The Front of House Supervisor (FOHS) works as a part of the KIPP Austin Public Schools Cafeteria Team. The Front of House Supervisor would help to create a warm and friendly atmosphere to enhance the student’s meal time experience. This position would efficiently handle the sale of food, and to prepare an accurate, balanced tabulation sheet for Food Service accounting purposes. The FOHS would work effectively in the cafeteria/kitchen to provide direction to the server, cashier, prep-cook, and dishwashing duties. This position will abide by the strictest standards of physical and food safety, freshness and sanitation.
- Train, supervise and evaluate cafeteria specialist staff to perform duties as required by the Food Service Department. Foster and promote a teamwork environment that will contribute to the operation of a successful cafeteria.
- Support Assistant Manager in the cafeteria administrative functions.
- Assign daily work station duties with the goal of keeping a safe and clean working environment.
- Train employees on cashiering duties as set within the Standards of Operation (SOP).
- Monitor Production Sheets and provide meal components at the serving size as specified.
- Comply with Health Department Code for food service.
- During service confirm that each tray is reimbursable (as defined the Standard Operating Procedure) and that the number keyed in matches the student.
- Oversees the student reimbursable snack program.
- Maintains proper signage for the Food Service Program on the serving line and serving areas.
- Maintains the A La Cart snack program as outlined by the Food Service Department.
- Set up meal service and clean up at appropriate campus or campuses.
- Routinely act on day to day situations, working closely with and assisting school personnel and parents to ensure smooth operation of the free and reduced lunch function of the Office of Child Nutrition.
- Accurate in maintaining and reconciling all financial records for the Office of Child Nutrition free and reduced lunch program.
- Effectively record all meal counts on a daily basis.
- Work as a prep-cook and assist in the preparation for meal portions which may involve cooking and baking using various utensils and appliances; may perform specialized duties (baking and cooking).
- Serve the students, teachers, and guests. Use safety precautions relative to working with food service equipment and materials and report all injuries or unsafe conditions to the supervisor on duty.
- Keep dispensing and related equipment full and operating. This includes milk and other self-selection food options (Offer vs. Serve).
- Maintain the cleanliness of the kitchen and cafeteria area; clear counters, sweep and mop floors; clean freezers, coolers, and storage areas; clean kitchen appliances; clean and maintain the garbage collection area as needed.
- Store stock in an efficient and safe manner.
- Support all efforts to recycle and compost.
- Fundamental understanding of sanitation and cleanliness.
- Requires moderate physical effort. Standing, carrying, bending, stretching, stooping, pulling, pushing, lifting of weights up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with the team.
- Must be self-motivated and able to problem solve effectively.
- Manager Food Handler’s card required.
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to feed healthy food to our students.
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, is proactive and flexible, and is willing and able to play different roles in the kitchen in order to meet the varied and constant needs of the students at KIPP Austin.
- Model positive and healthy character traits and habits, such as being organized, consistent and understanding.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Texas Austin.
- Ability to work in the following conditions
- Exposure to temperature variations and wet conditions.
- May walk and work on uneven and slick surfaces.
- Requires reaching above and below shoulder height.
- Some exposure to dust, gas, fumes and chemicals
- Exposure to blood borne pathogens: Level III
- May need to use a ladder or stool to reach product or supplies.
- Frequent repetitive hand motion.
- Frequent excessive standing during assigned work day.
- Frequent requirement to lift, carry, push, pull, sit, stand, walk, reach, crouch, climb, balance, kneel and stoop.
All KIPP Texas Austin staff members will demonstrate the following:
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the KIPP Texas community.
- A clear, authentic and transparent sense of your strengths and areas of growth as a professional; an ability to easily adjust tone
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue professional development individually
- Ability to break down complex information into comprehensive parts, ask questions, synthesize and analyze
- Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Texas students
Compensation and Benefits
As a full-time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas’ benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices with competitive rates, including medical, dental, and vision options, life insurance, and disability plans.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.