Casual Communications Assistant - #1672250
Education Development Center
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements, and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC’s approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion is grounded in EDC’s commitment to respect the dignity of each individual. EDC has a commitment to promoting equity and access to high quality education and health services that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. EDC expresses its commitment to increasing equity through its strategies, services and products, which contribute to building capacity and transforming lives.
EDC has an opening for a Casual Communications Assistant, reporting to the Project Coordinator on the Trauma Recovery, Mental Health Promotion, and Violence Prevention Team in the Health Promotion, Practice, and Innovation (HPPI) Portfolio. The person in this position will work remotely (US-based telecommuters will be considered). Internationally based telecommuters are not eligible for this position.
The person in this role will support media and communications writing needs (researching topics, drafting resources and blogs on mental health and wellness topics, copy-editing written responses for the media). In addition, this person will support several projects by taking notes in meetings, researching topic areas to support the development of resources, and drafting some written resources with support from other team members. Projects that this employee will contribute to focus on topic areas of suicide prevention, resilience, and mental wellness resource development for first responders. The ideal candidate will be an excellent verbal and written communicator, an excellent writer and copyeditor, be detail-oriented, organized, and able to think critically about sensitive issues.
The Communications Assistant is a casual employee position. EDC casual employees generally work on an as-needed basis, with hours variable depending on needs and scope of work for particular assignments/tasks. A casual employee position receives statutory benefits of Social Security contributions, Medicare contributions, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation insurance and sick leave. A casual position ends when the work is complete.
This position requires approximately 16 hours per week of commitment.
- draft blogs on resilience, mental health, and wellbeing topics
- copy edit media pieces and/or project resources
- draft project resource documents
- develop, classify, and maintain a collection of print and non-print resources
- identify key journals on project topics and manage subscriptions
- stay up-to-date on topical best practices and media coverage
- create and disseminate electronic resources in various modes
- assist in database development
- identify indexes to project topic literature and subscription databases; perform searches; explore options for desktop access by all project staff
- subscribe to and monitor electronic mailing lists; solicit information from other subscribers
- perform other duties as assigned
- engage in teamwork; accept and utilize feedback
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications and/or Public Relations
Skills & Experience:
- Experience designing and conducting interviews and/or surveys
- Evidence of cross-cultural awareness
- Experience interacting with the media
- Attentiveness to accuracy and detail
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Receptivity to critical feedback
- Ability to work well on a team
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Research shows that individuals from historically marginalized groups find themselves meeting many of the criteria of a job posting, yet doubting if they should apply. At EDC, we value and strive for a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. Equity and excellence are inseparable. If you meet some of the preferred requirements but not all of them, and feel aligned with our vision and mission, we encourage you to apply.
This position offers an anticipated hourly rate of approximately $25.00. Salary offers are made based on market analysis and internal equity.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the EDC job opportunities website as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by e-mailing Liz Christensen or by calling her at 800-225-4276 or 617-618-2329.