Research Scientist - PFAS - #1672258
Work with Us. Change the World.
At AECOM, we're delivering a better world. Whether improving your commute, keeping the lights on, providing access to clean water, or transforming skylines, our work helps people and communities thrive. We are the world's trusted infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for future generations.
There has never been a better time to be at AECOM. With accelerating infrastructure investment worldwide, our services are in great demand. We invite you to bring your bold ideas and big dreams and become part of a global team of nearly 50,000 planners, designers, engineers, scientists, digital innovators, program and construction managers and other professionals delivering projects that create a positive and tangible impact around the world.
We're one global team driven by our common purpose to deliver a better world. Join us.
AECOM is seeking a project/research scientist for employment in our Orange, CA, Austin, TX or Arlington, VA office. This position will support AECOM’s Global PFAS Initiative specifically through our Federal Remediation Practice in the Environmental Business Line. The selected candidate would serve as a technical lead on Department of Defense (DoD) or other federal agency projects and serve as AECOM’s PFAS Technology Transfer Leader.
Responsibilities of this position, include the following:
- Utilizing advanced scientific principles, theories, practices and existing/emerging technologies to develop technical solutions to complex remediation problems.
- Serving as a technical lead for remediation projects with scope elements that include; site inspections, remedial investigations, risk assessments, feasibility studies, technology demonstrations (bench/pilot studies), and remedial design for a variety of environmental contaminants and impacted media with a significant emphasis on PFAS.
- Preparing complex project deliverables in collaboration with a team of junior technical and support staff. This may include technical planning documents (Sampling and Analysis Plans, Conceptual Site Models, waste management and environmental protection plans, etc.) and reports associated with all phases of CERCLA/RCRA process.
- Preparing technical presentations and communications to share technical expertise, and project data interpretations with internal project teams and external project stakeholders.
- Serving as Lead Verifier on projects where not the technical lead, confirming that the technical approach satisfies the client scope and services and expectations.
- Coordinate and develop responses to applicable research funding requests from Federal, State, or private entities to include SERDP/ESTCP, and AFCEC or EXWC BAAs. With support from AECOM technical practitioners, focus on areas where AECOM can complement academic or commercial partners in delivering meaningful research to address PFAS fate and transport, origin, and risk related challenges.
- Present AECOM PFAS research and innovation at national and federally focused conferences.
- Coordinate with project and program managers, work with on-site subcontractors and field staff, support environmental sampling, data collection, and field documentation.
- Travel to various job sites within the US
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Toxicology, or related field
- 6 years of relevant experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education
- Valid U.S. Driver's License
- Candidate must be able to provide proof of US Citizenship or Green Card
- Master’s degree or PhD in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Toxicology, or related field
- 5+ years of remediation experience working at DoD/federal facilities
- Experience conducting remediation at DoD/Federal Facilities in accordance with CERCLA/RCRA guidelines
- Strong technical report writing skills and the ability to develop design specifications
- Ability to assist with the preparation of technical proposals and associated cost estimates for remediation activities
- Experience proposing on and executing Federally funded research projects such as for SERDP, AFCEC or EXWC
- Must be able to travel for 1-2 weeks at a time, periodically
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word programs
- 40-hour HAZWOPER training
- Candidate must be able to meet the medical clearance requirements of an OSHA medical surveillance physical examination
Exempt Position: Offered rate of compensation (California locations only) will be based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. The salary range for this position is $95,000 - $110,000.
AECOM is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our employees. Depending on your employment status, AECOM benefits may include medical, dental, vision, life, AD&D, disability benefits, paid time off, leaves of absences, voluntary benefits, perks, U.S and global well-being programs, employee assistance program, business travel insurance, service recognition awards, retirement savings plan, and employee stock purchase plan.
AECOM is the world’s trusted infrastructure consulting firm, delivering professional services throughout the project lifecycle – from advisory, planning, design and engineering to program and construction management. On projects spanning transportation, buildings, water, new energy and the environment, our public- and private-sector clients trust us to solve their most complex challenges. Our teams are driven by a common purpose to deliver a better world through our unrivaled technical and digital expertise, a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion, and a commitment to environmental, social and governance priorities. AECOM is a Fortune 500 firm and its Professional Services business had revenue of $14.4 billion in fiscal year 2023. See how we are delivering sustainable legacies for generations to come at aecom.com and @AECOM.
Freedom to Grow in a World of Opportunity
You will have the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.